Leaders Graduate from Cenla BoardBuilders Program
Board service is next step for graduates
Eight Central Louisiana leaders graduated October 18 from Cenla BoardBuilders, a leadership development program for interested community members who want to become active on local nonprofit boards.
Through Cenla BoardBuilders, a program of Community Development Works and The Rapides Foundation, participants are trained through a series of sessions on the roles and responsibilities of an effective board member. Two learning tracks are available: Track I, for newly seated board members with limited service experience who are seeking training only; and Track II, for individuals with no previous board service who are seeking training and help to connect with local nonprofits.
“For many nonprofit organizations, mission success depends on the strength of the board. We believe the Cenla BoardBuilders training helps build the capacity of nonprofit organizations by providing a pool of knowledgeable board members,” said Ashley Stewart, Director of Programs for The Rapides Foundation. “Graduates of Cenla BoardBuilders are trained in what their responsibilities are as a board member and enter board service with the skills needed to contribute immediately.”
Graduation speaker Leroy Divinity, principal consultant for Paraclete Consulting and a Cenla BoardBuilders trainer, charged graduates to ask themselves whether they have another “yes” as they take what they have learned through the program and apply it to board service.
“Now comes the time to move from the theoretical to the actual; to be a part of helping to make things better not only for the organization and the board, but for our community,” Divinity said. “Do you have another yes? Because you’re there for a purpose; you’re there for a reason. What you bring to the table is what the board needs. Yes, share your perspective; yes, share your opinion; and say yes to the commitment to do the work necessary as a board member.
The following graduates completed the 2019 Cenla BoardBuilders Program:
Track I: Currently serving on a board
• Claire Hetherwick, Opioid Use Disorder Prevention Specialist, The Extra Mile Region 6; Nonprofit Partner: Red River Dance Theatre Company.
• Kellie Peyton, Owner & Lead Creative, Queen Bee Marketing; Nonprofit Partner: Central Louisiana Homeless Coalition.
Track II: Seeking board service
• Joshua Bester, Case Manager, Federal Bureau of Prisons.
• Taura L. Denmon, Deputy Director, Alexandria Housing Authority.
• Delphine Hammer, Adjunct Clinical Professor and Charge Nurse, CLTCC and Oceans Behavioral Health Hospital.
• Titan Marler, Loan Officer Trainee, Bank of Montgomery.
• Jared G. Price, Attorney.
• Kelli West, Director of Marketing and Communications, Natchitoches Convention and Visitors Bureau.
The 2019 graduates join a group of 213 Cenla BoardBuilders alumni. Employer partners participate in the program by allowing their employee time off during work hours to attend training sessions and board meetings. Nonprofit partners connect with Cenla BoardBuilders graduates to offer board service opportunities.
For more information about Cenla BoardBuilders or to learn how to participate in the 2020 program, call CDW at 318-443-7880 or toll free at 1-800-803-8075. Community Development Works is a program of The Rapides Foundation.