The Rapides Foundation encourages you to "Have a Healthy Holiday"
Find recipes, videos and more
The Rapides Foundation is encouraging everyone to “Have a Healthy Holiday” with healthier holiday recipes and preparation videos, simple exercise videos, and tips to keep you on track with your health goals during the busy holiday season.
To give you a jump-start on a healthy holiday menu, the Foundation is featuring several recipes on its website and social media platforms, and in newspaper ads throughout the holiday season. The recipes include: Apple Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake; Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Gluten-Free Gravy; Sweet Pepper Poppers; Roast Chicken with Gluten-Free Stuffing; Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce; and an Orange, Cumin & Cilantro Vinaigrette. Additional recipes from previous holiday campaigns are also available. As an added bonus, preparation videos for each of the featured recipes are available to watch on the Foundation’s website and YouTube channel. Click here to visit our Have a Healthy Holiday! web page.
The Foundation can also help you learn how to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine with video demonstrations of simple exercises like squats, bends, push-ups, lunges and many others. Click here to Get moving with our exercise demonstrations!.
Another way to keep on track with your health goals is with the Get Healthy Cenla Challenge Calendar. This monthly calendar contains daily fitness and nutrition challenges is also available for download to help you keep on track with your health goals. Click here to download the Get Healthy Cenla Challenge Calendar.
All of the recipes, preparation videos, and exercise videos can also be found by visiting the Foundation on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or YouTube.
Here are some tips for creating a healthy holiday plan during this busy season:
· Eat Smart: Choose fresh, non-processed food options whenever possible. Before leaving for a party, drink plenty of water, and eat a light snack like raw vegetables or a piece of fruit to curb your appetite. You will be less tempted to overindulge.
· Cook right: Choose one of our healthy recipes for your holiday table. You can watch a demonstration of how to prepare each featured recipe on our holiday web page.
· Get moving: Sneak in any calorie-burning activity you can. Check out the exercise tips and videos on our website and YouTube channel. Some other simple tips: take the stairs, dance, play with your kids, and trim the tree. It may not seem like much, but any extra activity throughout the day will burn calories and relieve stress.
· Sleep well: Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. You may be tempted to stay up until the wee hours wrapping presents, but research has shown that constant sleep deprivation leads to weight gain. Sleeping well will keep your metabolism and body running at top speed and efficiency.
· Find joy: Laugh, reflect and enjoy the time spent with the people you love. There’s so much more to the holidays than overindulging.
Let rapidesfoundation.org be your healthy holiday resource for delicious recipes, cooking and exercise videos, and holiday tips. It’s all there to help you and your family Eat smart, Cook right and Get moving!
See holiday recipes and videos!